You probably heard the phrase “think outside the box.” And our guest of today, Van Lai-DuMone has taken it to the next level. She believes that creativity can (and should) be brought into the workplace. With her company, Work Smart Advantage, she creates a plan to make the work environment a fun and creative place, as a way to promote team development, problem-solving, and leadership.
- Creativity is good for your company! When Van started in the corporate world, she found out that training, evaluations, everything was…dry. And there wasn’t any retention of information after that.
- For Van, there’s a difference between team building and team development. It’s not just about having fun in the workplace, it’s also about learning to work together, know what each one of us can bring to the table. Creativity is a way to lower our barriers and be heard.
- How to make people feel attached to your company mission? Van knows that most of the time, employees don’t feel connected to the company mission, so it’s important to change that. Start working with your staff to see what their missions and values are, find a common ground to build from where to start to build.
- Van believes that team building is even more important now, when many people are working from home. It’s important that leaders create the space for connection, for people getting to know each other.
- Being a Leader and growing inside the company. Van discusses how usually people very good at their job get a promotion that they might not want or not are prepared for: being a manager. People need support and training for this role. And is this what they want? What do they want or expect from a promotion? Let them have a say on this.
- Van shares with us three tips to start bringing creativity in the workplace.
Want to learn more about ALL things marketing? Join our Facebook Group, Marketing Small Talk.
Go back to the homepage