Stories are important. A good story can captivate us until we lose track of time. But can we use a story, and therefore, storytelling in other environments, like…a company? Hillary Rea thinks we can, and even more: we should. She’s the founder of Tell Me A Story, a communication consulting business that teaches the art of storytelling to entrepreneurs, leaders, and anyone that wants to engage and connect with others in a different and more lasting way. If you want to be remembered, use storytelling.
- Storytelling is an art form and a powerful communication tool. Hillary tells us how she discovered and started to practice it.
- For Hillary, storytelling is a way to captivate your audience, people are more likely to listen to you and understand what you are saying if you tell them a story. And this is a skill that you can learn and improve over the years.
- Hillary explains part of the elements of a story. Every story has a beginning, a middle, and an end. Once you have this structure, it is time to choose those moments or details that contribute to the story and focus on them.
- You don’t have to be funny. Hillary knows that not all stories have to end with a joke. Humor has different layers, and it is ok if you want to tell a story and tell how you feel, without being funny.
- Hillary teaches companies and leaders how to use storytelling to communicate and engage with their teams. Storytelling allows having a connection between coworkers and bosses.
- We all have stories to tell. Hillary found out that many people didn’t want to tell their story because it didn’t have the perfect ending, and she works to let everyone know that you don’t have to have that perfect ending, or don’t have to meet your goals to have something to tell. You have to find what you want to say.
- Hillary gives us three reasons why to use storytelling and examples on how to use it.
If you want to know more about Hillary and her work, check her website. And if you want to participate in a free session, read all about her next The Speak Up Session.
Download our free guide to Clubhouse, and learn everything you need to know about this social network.
Lara Schmoisman, CEO & Founder of The Darl and Marketing Simplificado